Pilates benefits are too many to mention, and thousands who practice it would agree on this. Joseph Pilates, the man behind the exercises that have become very popular nowadays, has never been injured in his life. However, he was a sickly child that suffered from rickets,asthma and rheumatic fever when he was young. If he was not this sickly, he might have never created the Pilates system and never thought about the Pilates philosophy. But as it was, Pilates exercises have been popularized in the 1980s and no one could argue about the benefits that it could give to those who practice it.
There are many kinds of Pilates exercises and most of them actually have different benefits. Here are some Pilates benefits that makes people want to try the exercises in the first place:
- If you are strength training, then you are probably seeing muscles bulge up obviously. When you are doing Pilates exercises, you are building strength but not really concentrating on your muscles. This is a very good substitute if you do not want to have a bulky body. The strength that you gain from exercises like these comes from the core, and your muscles would be trained to perfection but not overly stressed and stretched. It tones the muscles without overkill.
- If you are wondering whether you could do Pilates exercises, chances are that you could. Because the developer of the system was weak as a child, it would only make sense that his exercises could be done by young and old, of varying strengths and weaknesses . Most children could start training by the time that they are 10 years old. You could live up to a hundred and still train in Pilates, though your doctor might have a say on your physical activities.
- Physical injuries could be prevented with Pilates. The developer himself recognizes his exercises to be the reason why he has never once injured himself his entire life. Preventing injuries could be more effective if the body is trained to accept them and cope with them fairly well. This is one of the most helpful Pilates benefits there is, and most people would agree that the whole body balance with the spirit and the mind is what makes the Pilates a great thing to have in your life.
- Relaxation is a core principle of the Pilates workouts but it is considered a benefit in itself. If you could relax and concentrate, your focus would improve and your stress levels would reduce. This is the reason why Pilates is also very helpful in helping patients recover from shock, stress and trauma. By moving gracefully with fluid motions, people who practice Pilates would find it easy to move around their everyday activities.
- The Pilates method is actually called Contrology. Joseph Pilates believed that for a person to reap the benefits of his methods and exercises, one must be able to be at one with his mind and soul. This means that we are not only talking about physical benefits here. There are also mental benefits that you could get from practicing Pilates.